Faculty Publications - Manuel Blum
Selected Articles in journals or magazines
- L. von Ahn, M. Blum, and J. Langford, "Telling humans and computers apart automatically: How lazy cryptographers do AI," Communications of the ACM, vol. 47, no. 2, pp. 56-60, Feb. 2004.
- H. Wasserman and M. Blum, "Software reliability via run-time result-checking," J. ACM, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 826-849, Nov. 1997.
- M. Blum and H. Wasserman, "Reflections on the Pentium division bug," IEEE Trans. Computers, vol. 45, no. 4, pp. 385-393, April 1996.
- L. Blum, M. Blum, and M. Shub, "A simple unpredictable pseudo-random number generator," SIAM J. Computing, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 364-383, May 1986.
- M. Blum and S. Micali, "How to generate cryptographically strong sequences of pseudo-random bits," SIAM J. Computing, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 850-864, Nov. 1984.
- M. Blum, "Coin flipping by telephone -- A protocol for solving impossible problems," ACM SIGACT News, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 23-27, Dec. 1983.
- M. Blum, "How to exchange (secret) keys," ACM Trans. Computer Systems, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 175-193, May 1983.
- L. Blum and M. Blum, "Toward a mathematical theory of inductive inference," Information and Control, vol. 28, no. 2, pp. 125-155, June 1975.
Selected Articles in conference proceedings
- L. von Ahn, M. Blum, N. J. Hopper, and J. Langford, "CAPTCHA: Using hard AI problems for security," in Lecture Notes in Computer Science -- Advances in Cryptology, E. Biham, Ed., Vol. 2656, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2003, pp. 294-311.
- A. Perrig and D. Song, "Hash visualization: A new technique to improve real-world security," in Proc. Intl. (CrypTEC '99), M. Blum and C. H. Lee, Eds., Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press, 1999, pp. 8 pg.
- M. Blum, M. G. Luby, and R. A. Rubinfeld, "Self-testing/correcting with applications to numerical problems," in Proc. 22nd Annual ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, H. Ortiz, Ed., New York, NY: ACM Press, 1990, pp. 73-83.
- M. Blum and S. K. Kannan, "Designing programs that check their work," in Proc. 21st Annual ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, D. S. Johnson, Ed., New York, NY: ACM Press, 1989, pp. 86-97.
- M. Blum, P. Feldman, and S. Micali, "Non-interactive zero-knowledge and its applications (Extended abstract)," in Proc. 20th Annual ACM Symp. on Theory of Computing, New York, NY: ACM Press, 1988, pp. 103-112.
- M. Blum and D. Kozen, "On the power of the compass (or, Why mazes are easier to search than graphs)," in Proc. 19th Annual Symp. on Foundations of Computer Science, New York, NY: IEEE, 1978, pp. 132-142.