Second CS Degree Candidates

How can I study Computer Science at Berkeley if I already have an undergraduate degree?

Applicants who have already earned a bachelor's degree from an accredited university cannot apply for undergraduate admission to either the College of Engineering or the College of Letters and Science

One option is to enter the field of Computer Science at the graduate level. Once you complete the necessary technical background in mathematics and computer science, it is possible to apply directly to the UC Berkeley graduate program in Computer Science.

We suggest that you complete the equivalent of our pre-requisite courses in Calculus (Math 1A, 1B), Discrete Mathematics (Math 55), and Data Structures (CS61B) through local community colleges. You can refer to for stated equivalents between California Community Colleges and UC Berkeley.

Upper Division equivalent courses in Components and Design Techniques for Digital Systems (CS150), Operating Systems and System Programming (CS162), Programming Languages and Compilers (CS164) and Efficient Algorithms and Intractable Problems (CS170), may be available at four year institutions in your area. We suggest that you explore the options of pursuing graduate degrees or enrolling as limited status or non-registered students on these campuses.