I am an NSF postdoctoral fellow in the EECS department at Berkeley, working in the AMPLab with Mike Jordan. Previously, I was a student at the Courant Institute (NYU) working with Mehryar Mohri. My interests include problems related to scalable and user-friendly machine learning, matrix factorization and computational genomics.
- Distributed Matrix Completion and Robust Factorization (pdf,
L. Mackey, A. Talwalkar, M. I. Jordan
Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 2014
- SMaSH: A Benchmarking Toolkit for Variant Calling (pdf, web)
A. Talwalkar, J. Liptrap, J. Newcomb, C. Hartl, J. Terhorst, K. Curtis, M. Bresler, Y. S. Song, M. I. Jordan, D. Patterson
- MLbase: A Distributed Machine Learning System (pdf, web)
T. Kraska, A. Talwalkar, J. Duchi, R. Griffith, M.J. Franklin, M.I. Jordan
Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR), 2013
- A Scalable Bootstrap for Massive Data (pdf)
A. Kleiner, A. Talwalkar, P. Sarkar, M.I. Jordan
Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series B (JRSS-B), 2013
- Large-scale SVD and Manifold Learning (pdf)
A. Talwalkar, S. Kumar, M. Mohri, H. Rowley
Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), 2013
- Foundations of Machine Learning (web)
M. Mohri, A. Rostamizadeh, A. Talwalkar
MIT Press, 2012
- June 2014: I am joining UCLA's Computer Science Department as an assistant professor. For the next year, I will be working at Databricks.
- October 2013: We released SMaSH, our benchmarking toolkit for genomic variant calling algorithms.
- September 2013: MLlib, a distributed low-level machine learning library and a component of MLbase, was featured as part of the Spark 0.8.0 release.
- August 2013: We released the developer's preview of MLI, a user-friendly machine learning API and a part of MLbase, and presented a demo of it at AMPCamp.
- August 2012: Our textbook, Foundations of Machine Learning (MIT Press), has been published.
- September 2011: I am organizing a NIPS workshop on Sparse Representation and Low-rank Approximation.
- August 2011: I was awarded a three-year NSF OCI postdoctoral fellowship.
- March 2011: I am a recipient of the 2011 Janet Fabri Prize for best doctoral dissertation in NYU's Computer Science Department.
- September 2010: I am organizing a NIPS workshop on Low-rank Methods for Large-scale Machine Learning.