Ph.D., Stanford University
719 Sutardja Dai Hall
tel: (510) 642-9423
of EECS - Go
to her EECS Profile
CITRIS and CITRIS @ Berkeley (2001-2005) -
to her CITRIS profile.
Tele-immersion Lab Website - Visit website
- Computer Vision
- Assistive Technologies
- Human Modeling
- Sensor Networks
Ruzena Bajcsy (LF’08) received the Master’s and Ph.D. degrees in electrical engineering from Slovak Technical University, Bratislava, Slovak Republic, in 1957 and 1967, respectively, and the Ph.D. in computer science from Stanford University, Stanford, CA, in 1972. She is a Professor of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences at the University of California, Berkeley, and Director Emeritus of the Center for Information Technology Research in the Interest of Science (CITRIS). Prior to joining Berkeley, she headed the Computer and Information Science and Engineering Directorate at the National Science Foundation. Dr. Bajcsy is a member of the National Academy of Engineering and the National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine as well as a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the American Association for Artificial Intelligence. In 2001, she received the ACM/Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence Allen Newell Award, and was named as one of the 50 most important women in science in the November 2002 issue of Discover Magazine. She is the recipient of the Benjamin Franklin Medal for Computer and Cognitive Sciences (2009) and the IEEE Robotics and Automation Award (2013) for her contributions in the field of robotics and automation.
Full List of Publications - Go
- J. Han, G. Kurillo, T. Abresch, E. de Bie, A. Nicroci Lewis, R. Bajcsy, "Upper extremity 3D reachable workspace analysis in dystrophinopathy using Kinect", Muscle and Nerve, 2015.
- F. Ofli, G. Kurillo, S. Obdrzalek, R. Bajcsy, H. Jimison, M.Pavel, "Design and Evaluation of an Interactive Exercise Coaching System for Older Adults: Lessons Learned", IEEE Journal of Biomedical and Health Informatics, 2015.
- J.J. Han, G. Kurillo, R.T. Abresch, E. de Bie, A. Nicorici, R. Bajcsy, "Reachable Workspace in Facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy (FSHD) by Kinect", Muscle and Nerve, vol. 51, no. 14, pp. 168-175, 2015.
- C.H. Chen, J. Favre, G. Kurillo, T.P. Andriacchi, R. Bajcsy, R. Chellappa, "Camera Networks for Healthcare, Tele-immersion, and Surveillance Computer", Computer, vol. 47, pp.26-36, 2014.
- V. Shia,Y. Gao, R. Vasudevan, K. Driggs-Campbell, T. Lin, F. Borrelli, R. Bajcsy, "Semi-Autonomous Vehicular Control Using Driver Modeling,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 15, no.6, pp. 2696 - 2709, 2014.
- J.J. Han, G. Kurillo, R.T. Abresch, A. Nicorici, R. Bajcsy, "Validity, Reliability, and Sensitivity of a 3D Vision Sensor-based Upper Extremity Reachable Workspace Evaluation in Neuromuscular Diseases", PLOS Currents in Muscular Dystrophy, Dec 12. Edition 1.
- G. Kurillo, A. Chen, R. Bajcsy, J.J. Han, "Evaluation of upper extremity reachable workspace using Kinect camera," Technology and Health Care, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 641-656, 2013.
- F. Ofli, R. Chaudhry, G. Kurillo, R. Vidal, R. Bajcsy,"Sequence of the Most Informative Joints (SMIJ): A New Representation for Human Skeletal Action Recognition," Journal of Visual Communication and Image Representation
- Arefin, A., Huang, Z., Rivas, R., Shi, S., Wu, W., Xia, P., Nahrstedt, K., Kurillo, G., Bajcsy, R., “Classification and Analysis of 3D Tele-immersive Activities", IEEE Multimedia, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 38-48, 2013.
- G. Kurillo, R. Bajcsy, "3D Teleimmersion for Collaboration and Interaction of Geographically Distributed Users", Virtual Reality, vol. 17, no. 1, pp 29-43, 2013.
- G. Kurillo, J.J. Han, R.T. Abresch, A. Nicorici, P. Yan and R. Bajcsy, "Development and Application of Stereo Camera-Based Upper Extremity Workspace Evaluation in Patients with Neuromuscular Diseases", PLOS ONE journal, September 2012.
Vasudevan, G. Kurillo, E. Lobaton, T. Bernardin, O. Kreylos, R. Bajcsy,
and K. Nahrstedt, "High-Quality
Visualization for Geographically Distributed 3-D Teleimmersive
IEEE Transactions on, vol. 13,
no. 3, pp. 573 -584, June 2011.
Yang, W. Wu, K. Nahrstedt, G. Kurillo, and R. Bajcsy, "Enabling
multiparty 3D tele-immersive environments with ViewCast,"
Comput. Commun. Appl., vol. 6,
pp. 29:1--29:28, Nov. 2010.
Lobaton, R. Vasudevan, R. Bajcsy, and S. S. Sastry, "A
distributed topological camera network representation for tracking
Img. Proc., vol. 19, pp.
2516--2529, Oct. 2010.
Tien, S. D. Glaser, R. Bajcsy, D. S. Goodin, and M. J. Aminoff, "Results
of using a wireless inertial measurirlg system to quantify gait motions
in control subjects," Trans.
Info. Tech. Biomed., vol. 14,
pp. 904--915, July 2010.
Yang, M. Gastpar, R. Bajcsy, and S. S. Sastry, "Distributed Sensor
Perception via Sparse Representation," pieee,
vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1077-1088, June 2010.
Y. Yang, M. Gastpar, R. Bajcsy, and S. S. Sastry, "Distributed
Sensor Perception via Sparse Representation,"
vol. 98, no. 6, pp. 1077-1088, June 2010. [abstract]
Guenterberg, A. Y. Yang, H. Ghasemzadeh, R. Jafari, R. Bajcsy, and S.
S. Sastry, "A
method for extracting temporal parameters based on hidden Markov models
in body sensor networks with inertial sensors,"
vol. 13, pp. 1019--1030, Nov. 2009.
Lien, G. Kurillo, and R. Bajcsy, "Multi-camera
tele-immersion system with real-time model driven data compression: A
new model-based compression method for massive dynamic point data,"
vol. 26, pp. 3--15, Nov. 2009.
Bailenson, K. Patel, A. Nielsen, R. Bajcsy, S. H. Jung, and G. Kurillo,
effect of interactivity on learning physical actions in virtual reality,"
vol. 11, no. 3, pp. 354-376, July 2008.
Lin and R. Bajcsy, "Single-viewpoint,
catadioptric cone mirror omnidirectional imaging theory and analysis,"
J. Optical Society of
America A, vol. 23, no. 12, pp.
2997-3015, Dec. 2006.
Isler and R. Bajcsy, "The
sensor selection problem for bounded uncertainty sensing models,"
Science and Engineering, vol.
3, no. 4, pp. 372-381, Oct. 2006.
Bajcsy and R. McGeer, "CITRIS
and data and knowledge engineering: What is old and what is new? (A DKE
"Top 25 Hottest Articles" selection),"
Special Jubilee Issue:
Data & Knowledge Engineering,
vol. 50, no. 3, pp. 261-276, Sep. 2004.
Bajcsy, A. D. Joseph, V. Paxson, D. Tygar, S. S. Sastry, and other
DETER/EMIST Members, "Cyber
defense technology networking and evaluation,"
of the ACM
Special Issue: Emerging Technologies for Homeland Security,
vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 58-61, March 2004.
Fitzpatrick, J. Abbate, F. S. Preston, L.
Slater, M. L. Berners-Lee, J. Sammet, D. S. Shirley, R. Bajcsy, A.
Hardy, A. Goldberg, and A. Borg, "Anecdotes,"
IEEE Annals of the History
of Computing, vol. 25, no. 4,
pp. 78-82, Oct. 2003.
S. Sastry, J. Sztipanovits, R. Bajcsy, and H. Gill, "Guest
Editors' Introduction to Special Issue: Scanning the Issue,"
IEEE: Special Issue
on Modeling and Design of Embedded Software,
vol. 91, no. 1, pp. 3-10, Jan. 2003.
Bajcsy and C. Reynolds, "Computer
science: The science of and about information and computation,"
of the ACM,
vol. 45, no. 3, pp. 94-98, March 2002.
A. Hicks and R. Bajcsy, "Reflective
surfaces as computational sensors,"
Image and Vision Computing,
vol. 19, no. 11, pp. 773-777, Sep. 2001.
A. Hicks, D. Pettey, K. Daniilides, and R. Bajcsy, "Closed
form solutions for reconstruction via complex analysis,"
and Vision, vol. 13, no. 1, pp.
57-70, Aug. 2000.
Selected Recent Conference Publications
- Q. Wang, G. Kurillo, F. Ofli, R. Bajcsy, "Unsupervised Temporal Segmentation of Repetitive Human Actions Based on Kinematic Modeling and Frequency Analysis", Proceedings of International Conference of 3D Vision (3DV), Lyon, France, October 19-22, 2015.
- Q. Wang, G. Kurillo, F. Ofli, R. Bajcsy, "Evaluation of pose tracking accuracy in the first and second generations of Microsoft Kinect", Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics (ICHI), 2015.
- Chi Pang Lam, A. Yang, K. Driggs-Campbell, R. Bajcsy, and S.S. Sastry. Improving Human-In-The-Loop Decision Making In Multi-Mode Driver Assistance Systems Using Hidden Mode Stochastic Switched Systems, in IEEE / RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, September 2015.
- A. Bestick, S. Burden, G. Willits, N. Naikal, S.S. Sastry, R. Bajcsy, "Personalized Kinematics for Human-Robot Collaborative Manipulation," In Proc. IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), Hamburg, Germany, September 28 - October 03, 2015.
- K. Driggs-Campbell, R. Bajcsy, "Identifying Modes of Intent from Driver Behaviors in Dynamic Environments". In IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), September 2015.
- R.P. Matthew, V. Shia, M. Tomizuka, R. Bajcsy, "Optimal design for individualised passive assistance", In Proceedings of the 6th Augmented Human International Conference, Singapore, Mar 9-11, 2015, pp. 69-76.
- D. Aranki, G. Kurillo, P. Yan, D.M. Liebovitz, R. Bajcsy, "Continuous, Real-Time, Tele-monitoring of Patients with Chronic Heart-Failure: Lessons Learned From a Pilot Study", Proceedings of 9th International Conference on Body Area Networks (Bodynets), London, Great Britain, Sept. 29–Oct.1, 2014.
- V. Shia, R. Matthew, R. Vasudevan and R. Bajcsy, “Relaxing Global Decrescence Conditions for Hybrid Systems Using SOS,” in International Federation on Automatic Control (IFAC), 2014, 2014.
- G. Kurillo, H. Baker, Z. Li, R. Bajcsy, "Geometric and Color Calibration of Multiview Panoramic Cameras for Life-Size 3D Immersive Video," Proceedings of Third Joint 3DIM/3DPVT Conference, Seattle, WA, June 29-30, 2013.
- Š. Obdržálek, G. Kurillo, F. Ofli, R. Bajcsy, E. Seto, H. Jimison, M. Pavel, "Accuracy and Robustness of Kinect Pose Estimation in the Context of Coaching of Elderly Population, EMBC, 34th International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, San Diego, California, August 2012
- G. Kurillo, T. Koritnik, T. Bajd, R. Bajcsy, Real-Time 3D Avatars for Tele-rehabilitation in Virtual Reality,
Medicine Meets Virtual Reality Conference (MMVR18), Newport Beach, CA, 2011.
- "A Report on Teaching
Machines," Sdelovaci Technika, 1966 (in
- "Linear Learning Models,"
Kybernetika, 2, 64-67, 1966 (In
- "Learning Models in Random
Environments," Kybernetika, 3, 1967
- "Identification of the
Effect of Maintenance on the Reliability
of Technical Systems," Elektrotechnicky Casopis, 19, 265-274,1968
- "Computer Identification of
Visual Surfaces," Computer Graphics
and Image Processing, 113-130, February 1973.
- "Image Filtering a Context
Dependent Process," IEEE Transactions
on Circuits and Systems, May 1975 (co-author: M. Tavakoli).
- "Computer Recognition of
Roads from Satellite Pictures," IEEE
Transactions on Systems, Machines and Cybernetics, September 1976
(co-author: M. Tavakoli).
- "Monocular Depth Cues-A
Computer Model," Computer Graphics and
Image Processing, 52-67, May 1976 (co-author: L. 1. Lieberman).
- "A Structured World Model in
Flexible Recognition of 2-D
Patterns," Pattern Recognition, 9, No. 1, January 1977.
Representations for Computer Graphics and
Computer Vision," Computer Graphics, 12, No. 3, August 1978 (co-author:
- "Computer Analysis and
Description of Pottery Shard Patterns,"
International Journal on Policy Analysis and Information Systems, 3, 1,
July 1979 (co-author: S. Scidmore).
- "Generalized Cylinders from
Local Aggregation of Sections,"
Pattern Recognition, 12, 1, 1980 (co-authors: B. Soroka, R. Andersson).
- "Computer Assisted Analysis
of Tomographic Images of the Brain,"
Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, 5, 6, 929-932,
1981 (co-authors: T. Adair, M. Reivich, P. Karp, and A. Stein).
- "Packing Volumes by
Spheres," IEEE Transactions on PAMI, 5, 1,
111-116, 1983 (co-author: R. Mohr).
- "A Computerized System for
Elastic Matching of Deformed
Radiographic Images to Idealized Atlas Images," JCAT, 7(4)
618-625, August 1983 (co-authors: R. Lieberson and M. Reivich).
- "Active Touch and Robot
Perception," Cognition and Brain Theory,
7 (2), 199-216, 1984 (co-author: K. Goldberg).
- "Acquiring 3-D Spatial Data
of a Real Object," Computer Vision,
Graphics and Image Processing 28, 126-133, 1984 (co-authors: C.K.
Wu and D.Q. Wang).
- "Visual and Conceptual
Hierarchy: A Paradigm for Studies of
Automated Generation of Recognition Strategies," IEEE Transactions On
Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 5, 319-325, 1984,
(co-author: D. Rosenthal).
- "Active Perception,"
Proceedings of the IEEE, Special issue on
Computer Vision, Vol. 76, No. 8, August 1988 (invited paper).
- "Multi-resolution elastic
matching," Computer Vision, Graphics,
and Image Processing, 46(l): 1-21, 1989 (co-author: S. Kovacic).
- "Evaluation of Elastic
Matching System for Anatomic (CT, MR) and
Functional (PET) Cerebral Images," Journal of Computer Assisted
Tomography, 13(4): 603-611, July/August 1989 (co-authors: Robert Dann,
John Hoford, Stane Kovacic, Martin Reivich).
- "Recovery of Mail Piece
Shape from Range Images Using 3-D
Deformable Models," International Journal of Postal Research
and Engineering, 1989 (co-author: F. Solina).
- "Part Description and
Segmentation of Range Image by Integration
of Contour, Surface, and Volumetric Primitives," Topical Meeting
on Image Understanding and Machine Vision, Technical Digest
Series, Vol. 14, 100-103, (Optical Society of America, Washington,
- "Recovery of parametric
models from range images: the case for
superquadrics with global deformations," IEEE Transactions on
PAMI, Vol. 12, No. 2, February 1990 (co-author: F. Solina).
- "Segmentation via
Manipulation," IEEE Transactions on Robotics
and Automation, G. Bekey (editor),Vol. 7, No. 3, June 1991
(co-author: Constantine J. Tsikos).
- "Detection of Specularity
Using Color and Multiple Views," Image
and Vision Computing, Vol. 10, pp. 643-653, 1992 (co-author:
- "Active and Exploratory
Perception," CVGIP: Image Understanding,
56(l):31-40, July 1992 (co-author: M. Campos).
- "Robotic Exploration of
Surfaces with a Compliant Wrist Sensor,"
International Journal of Robotics Research, Vol. 12(2), April
1993 (co-authors: P.R. Sinha, Y. Xu and R. Paul).
- "Elastically Deforming 3D
Atlas to Match Anatomical Brain
Images," Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography, Vol. 17, No. 2,
March/April 1993 (co-authors: J.C. Gee and M. Reivich).
- "Occlusions as a Guide for
Planning the Next View," IEEE Trans.
on PAMI, Vol. 15, No. 5, May 1993 (co-author: J. Maver).
- "Functionality Investigation
using a Discrete Event System
Approach," Journal of Robotics and Autonomous Systems, Special Issue
on Discrete Event Dynamic Systems Applications, Vol. 13, No.
pages 173-196, 1994 (co-author: L. Bogoni).
- "Discrete Event Systems for
Autonomous Mobile Agents," Journal of
Robotics and Autonomous Systems, 12:(1994), 187-198 (co-author:
- "Discrete Event Modeling of
Visually Guided Behaviors,"
International Journal of Computer Vision, special issue on Qualitative
Vision, Vol. 14, No. 2, pages 179-191, March 1995 (co-author: J.
Kosecka and H. Christensen).
- "Segmentation of Range
Images as a Search for Geometric
Parametric Models," International Journal of Computer Vision, Vol. 14,
No. 3, pages 253-277, April 1995 (co-authors: A. Leonardis and
- "Detection of Diffuse and
Specular Interface Reflections and
Inter-reflections using Color Image Segmentation" International Journal
of Computer Vision, Vol. 17, No. 3 (co-authors: A. Leonardis
- "Spline Representations in
3-D Vision," to appear in
Springer-Verlag Lecture Notes on Computer Science, 1995 (co-author: V.
- "Interactive Recognition and
Representation of Functionality," to
appear in CVIU, 1995 (co-author: L. Bogoni).
Transformation and vice versa: From Fundamental
Processes to Representation," ACM Computing Surveys
Vol. 27, No. 3, September 1995.
- "Rapid Design and
Prototyping of Customized Rehabilitation Aids,"
to appear in Special Section on Computers in
Manufacturing, Communications of the ACM, February, 1996
(co-authors: V. Kumar, W. Harwin and P. Harker).
- "Active Learning for
Vision-Based Robot Grasping," to appear in
Machine Learning Journal, November 1995 (co-authors: M.
Salganicoff and L.H. Ungar).
- "Scaling the dynamic
approach to path planning and control:
Competition among behavioral constraints," (accepted) in
International Journal of Robotics Research (co-authors: E. W.
Large, H. 1. Christensen).
- "Decision-Theoretic Approach
to Robust Fusion of Location Data",
in Journal of Franklin Institute, (co-authors: G. Kamberova,
R. Mandelbaum, M. Mintz).
Rigidity-Constrained Optical Flow", (1997) in
Computer Analysis of Images and Patterns, Kiel, Germany, (co-authors:
J. Mendelsohn, E. Simoncelli).
- "Methodology for Evaulation
of Task Performance in Robotic
Systems: A Case Study in Vision-Based Localization", (1997), in
Machine Vision and Applications, Vol. 9, No.5-6, pp.304-320,
(co-authors: P.L. Venetianer, E.W. Large).
Books & Book
Leonardis, F. Solina, and R. Bajcsy, Eds., Confluence
of Computer Vision and Computer Graphics,
NATO Science Series, 3. High Technology; v. 84, Dordrecht; Boston:
Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2000. [abstract]
Ganesh, A. D. Ames, and R. Bajcsy, "Composition
of dynamical systems for estimation of human body dynamics,"
in Hybrid Systems:
Computation and Control. Proc. 10th Intl. Workshop (HSCC 2007),
A. Bemporad, A. Bicchi, and G. Buttazzo, Eds., Lecture Notes in
Computer Science, Vol. 4416, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2007,
anatomy atlas and its registration to MRI, fMRI, PET: The past presents
a future," in Biomedical
Image Registration: Proc. 2nd Intl. Workshop (WBIR 2003). Revised
J. C. Gee, J. B. A. Maintz, and M. W. Vannier, Eds., Lecture Notes in
Computer Science, Vol. 2717, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2003,
technology research: Tranforming our future,"
in Advanced Computing and
Analysis Techniques in Physics Research: Proc. 7th Intl Workshop (ACAT
P. C. Bhat and M. Kasemann, Eds., AIP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 583,
Melville, NY: American Institute of Physics, 2001, pp. 7-10.
S. Beauchemin and R. Bajcsy, "Modelling
and removing radial and tangential distortions in spherical lenses,"
in Multi-Image Analysis:
Proc. 10th Intl. Workshop on Theoretical Foundations of Computer Vision
R. Klette, T. Huang, and G. Gimel'farb, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer
Science, Vol. 2032, Berlin, Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2001, pp. 1-21.
Lien, G. Kurillo, and R. Bajcsy, "Skeleton-based
data compression for multi-camera tele-immersion system,"
in Advances in Visual
Computing: Proc. 3rd Intl. Symp. (ISVC 2007). Part I,
G. Bebis, R. Boyle, B. Parvin, D. Koracin, N. Paragios, S. M. Tanveer,
T. Ju, Z. Liu, S. Coquillart, C. Cruz-Neira, T. Muller, and T.
Malzbender, Eds., Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 4841, Berlin,
Germany: Springer-Verlag, 2007, pp. 714-723.