Some Recent Talks by David E. Culler
- Software Defined Buildings - a computer systems approach to making the built environment better and more sustainable, MIT Dertouzos Distinguished Lecture, May 2, 2013
- Pervasive Communication and Interaction to make the Built Environment Better and more Sustainable, Keynote IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, March 20, 2013.
- Enabling a Sustainable Energy Infrastructure - a role for Information Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Dehli, Institute Lecture, Jan 9, 2013.
- Enabling a Sustainable Energy Infrastructure - a role for Information Technology, Indian Institute of Technology, Kampur, Distinguished Lecture, Jan 7, 2013.
- Sustainable Energy Networks - The Distributed Computing and Networking Challenging of the Real World, Keynote, 14th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Networking (ICDN2013), Mumbai, India, Jan 5, 2013.
- Sustainable Energy Networks - a Sensys Grand Opportunity, Keynote, ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys 2012) Nov. 7, 2012.
- ... to where the puck will be ... Sustainable Energy Networks, Clean Tech to Market (C2M), UC Berkeley, Sept. 5, 2012.
- What would the CA grid be like at 60% renewables?" EETD Seminar, April 10, 2012
- Enabling a Sustainable Energy Infrastructure - a role for Information Technology, Keynote, Beyond the Info-plosion, University of Tokyo, Jan. 17, 2012
- An Information-Centric path to a Demand-Centered Grid, Innovation Frontiers, transatlantic science week 2011, Berkeley CA, Oct. 26, 2011.
- Enabling a Sustainable Energy Infrastructure - a role for Information Technology , MIT Series on Computational Methods for Sustainability, Oct 20, 2011
- Enabling a Sustainable Energy Infrastructure - a role for Information Technology , Turing Lecture, Institute for Interdisciplinary Information Science, Tsinghua Huniversity, Sept 28, 2011
- The Internet of Every Thing - steps toward sustainability Keynote, China Computer Federation Technical Committee on Sensor Network (CWSN 2011), Sept. 26, 2011.
- Testimony before the California Legislature Assembly Select Committee on California's Clean Energy Economy, Aug. 4 2011.
- Working together to put CPS Technology on the Sustainability Table Plennary, NSF CyberPhysical Systems PI Meeting, Aug. 2, 2011
- Doing Nothing Well - the essense of Green Computing Keynote, 2nd International Green Computing Conference, July 26, 2011
- Enabling a Sustainable Energy Infrastructure - a CPS Grand Challenge CPS Week Plennary Keynote, April 13, 2011.
- A CS Systems View of the real world CITRIS/INRIA joing workshop on a Vision and Stragegy for Tomorrow's Research Challenges, May 23, 2011.
- Beyond the Lamplight - Lessons from Making Sensor Nwetworks Real Keynote, NSF Workshop on Pervasive Computing at Scale (PeCS), Jan 27, 2011
- Rethinking the Energy Infrastructure from an IT Perspective Distinguished Lecture, University of Washington, Dec. 7, 2010
- 6LoWPAN IPSO Alliance Webinar, Nov. 2010
- Efficient Supply-Following Loads: the Key to a Cooperative Grid The Philomathia Foundation Symposium at Berkeley: Pathways to a Sustainable Future, Nov. 2010.
- Towards an Aware Energy Infrastructure Microsoft Research Asia, Faculty Summit 2010, Oct. 18 2010, Shanghai China.
- The Internet of Every Thing - a step toward sustainability , Keynote,
The 12th Computing in the 21st Century Conference, jointly hosted by Microsoft Research Asia and Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Oct. 20 2010.
- Results from the Cory Hall Building-to-Grid (B2G) Testbed , Final Review Presentation to CEC, Sept. 24, 2010
- Rethinking the Energy Infrastructure from an IT Perspective, UC Merced EECS Technical Seminar Series, April 2010
- Rethinking the Energy Infrastructure from an IT Perspective, U Penn CIS Distinquished Lecture, Dec. 2009
- A Computer Scientist View on the Energy Problem,
CITRIS i4energy Seminar Series, Oct 2009, with Randy Katz
Rethinking the Energy Infrastructure using Internet Design Principles,
Renewable Energy Microgrid Research Workshop, June 2009.
- LoCal: A Network Architecture for Localized Electrical Energy
Reduction, Generation, and Sharing, CITRIS European Research Exchange,
Siemens HQ, Munich Germany, May 2009.
Bag Buildings, LBNL/UCB Building Innovations Workshop, Feb. 2009
- Instrumentation Internet / Real-World Web, Siemens-UCB Research
Exchange, April 2009
IT to Green Buildings - UCB as a Living Laboratory, UCB/IBM
Research Forum, Mar 2009
– Time to ROLL - (Routing over Low power and Lossy Networks)
Keynote 1st European TinyOS Technology Exchange, Feb 2009 (video)
- Sensing the Internet Frontier - What's Next? ETH Zurich, Feb
- Closing the Cyber-Physical Gap - The Internet of Every Thing,
Keynote, Tech. Univ. Berlin Innovation Center in Human-Centered
Communications, Feb. 2009.
View from the Bridge – Research Impact of Bringing Together WSNs and
Structural Health Monitoring, NSF Bridge Condition Monitoring
and Prognostication Workshop, Nov 2008.
Networking View on Biz Models and Apps for WSN, BAIA Panel, UCB Oct
the Next Tier of the Internet, Keynote, ICCCN08, International
Conference on Computing and Communications Networks, July, 2008
is the Future of Ubiquitous Sensor Networks, Keynote TinyOS USN
applications workshop, July 2008, Seoul Korea
Wireless Sensor Networks with the IP Architecture, Keynote 5th
Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad
Hoc Communications and Networks -- SECON 2008, June 2008.
- Low-Power Link Management - True IP Networking over IEEE
802.5.4, Bosch Research, 2008
- New IETF 6LoWPAN Standard Moves Wireless Sensor Networks into
the IP Mainstream , Sensor Expo, June 2008
- Wireless Sensor Networks –10 years from research to reality,
CISCO Network Architecture Group, May 2008
Research Perspective - through a Sensys lens, Sensys SoapBox
Presentation, Nov. 2007
and Low Power Wireless Networking – A Study in Realistic Abstraction,
Sigmobile Outstanding Achievement Award Lecture, Thirteenth Annual
International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking, Sept. 2007
- Sensors – The Next Tier of the Internet, BSAC IAB Wireless
Workshop: WSN, Cellular, Sensors, Sept. 2007.
Web Services, IBM-CITRIS Meeting, Oct. 2007.
Dataflow is opening the Internet Frontier, Dataflow-to-synthesis
Retrospective, MIT, May 2007 (Celebration of Arvind's 60th)
- Sensing the Next Tier of the Internet, Google Tech Talk, May
- Building Sensor Applications as Wiress Web Services - wireless
sensor networks move onto the Internet. Sensors Expo, June 12,
- Wireless Sensing - the
Internet's Front-Tier. [ppt]
FCRC 2007 Keynote with Deborah Estrin. June 11, 2007.
- Future of the Real-World Wireless Web, BEARS 2007
- Home Networks in a World of Embedded
Web Services, Home
Networking Technologies Workshop, Korean Electronics Show, Oct. 2006
- The Next Tier of the Internet, BroadNets 2006, Keynote, Oct
- Wireless Sensor Networks as the Next Tier of the Internet,
Sensors Expo, June 2006.
Sensor Networks as the Next Tier of the Internet, Keynote EII
Workshop on Wireless Sensor Networks for Enterprise Information
Infrastructure, Univ. of Sydney, Feb 2006.
Ahead for Wireless Sensor Networks, ICIRO, Brisbane AU, Feb 2006.
of Sensor Networks on Future InterNetDesign, NSF FIND Info Meeting,
- Sensor Networks - The Next Tier of the Internet, Keynote, BU
Sensor Network Consortium, "What's
Real and What Lies Ahead" Nov. 18, 2005.
- Distributed Computation in the Physical World. ICDCS
2005: Keynote, June 7 2005
- Toward the sensor network macroscope. MobiHoc
2005 Keynote, May 25, 2005
- Wireless Sensor Networks - Where Parallel and Distributed
Processing Meets the Real World. IPDPS
2005 Keynote, April 5, 2005
- Wireless Sensor Networks - the Next IT
Revolution, KES 2004, Oct 7, 2004.
- Design Challenges in Instrumenting the World with TinyOS,
DoCoMo Lab USA, DML Workshop, Aug. 2004.
- Privacy and Sensor Networks, Center for Privacy workshop, April
- Experience with Low-Power Wireless Sensor Networks - and - Why
Sensor Design is Missing the Mark, BSAC spring retreat, Mar 2004.
- Design Challenges in Instrumenting the World with Sensor
Networks, UCSB Distinguished Lecture, Mar 2004.
- PlanetLab - an Open Laboratory
for Introducing Disruptive Technology into the Internet. Keynote,
Network Outlook 2003.
- Computing Goes Pervasive,
UCB Computer Science Division, 30th Anniversary, Feb 28, 2004
- Wireless Sensor Nets -
EECS and Beyond, Berkeley EECS Annual Reseach Symposium, Feb 27,
- Networking the Physical World, SC2003
State of the Field Presentation, Nov 19, 2003
- TinyOS Sensor Network
Deployments, CITRIS Founding Corp. Members Meeting, UCSC, Oct. 2003.
- PlanetLab: a worldwide testbed
for distributed computing, Invited talk, DISC 2003, 17th
International Conference on Distributed Computing, Oct. 2003 (see it at
CMU End System Multicast)
- PlanetLab - Nurturing the Next
Generation Internet, UCB College of Eng. Distinguished Alumnae,
- NSF ECS Workshop on Wireless Networked Sensor and Actuator
Systems, Sept 2003
- Design Challenges in Instrumenting the Physical World with
Sensor Networks, Distinguished Lecture, IBM Almaden, July 2003
- DARPA NEST MidTerm Demo, July 2003
- PlanetLab: an Open Community Testbed for
Services, USITS keynote, Mar 2003.
Physical World - System Challenges in Vast Networks of Tiny Devices , NSF
Distinguished Lecture, Feb. 2003
the Physical World: systems challenges in vast networks of tiny devices,
UCSD Distinguished Lecture, Feb 2003
- DARPA NEST PI Meeting, Feb 2003
- MOT tutorial on network embedded systems, Nov 2002.
- Smart Dust and Tinyos: Hardware and Software of Networked
Academy of Engineering, Oct 2002
- Intel Research Berkeley & Extreme Networked Systems,
Information Systems, 8/13/2002
- Programmable Packets in the
Internet, DARPA Workshop on Programmable Packets for Intelligent
- Interconnecting CITRIS and the Physical World, Citris Founding
Members Meeting, 6/11/2002
- Towards a Distributed Test-Lab
Services, UCB Workshop on Network Testbeds, 6/7/02
- Networks of Tiny Devices Embedded in the
Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics Workshop
III: "Massively Distributed Self-Organizing Networks", May 2002
- DARPA NEST PI Meeting, Feb 5, 2002
- Networks of Tiny Devices embedded in the
Computing and Telecommunications Technology Board meetings, 1/25/2002
- Networks of Tiny Devices embedded in an Energy Constrained World,
Workshop with California Energy Commission, 1/17/2002
- Towards Understanding Vast Networks of Tiny Devices, BWRC,
- EMSOFT 2001 Workshop on Embedded Software, A
Approach to Embedded Software for Tiny Devices, Oct 10
- Intel MRL Systems Forum, Language
inspired by Networks of Tiny Devices, Oct 5
- EECS Week: Network day panel: Ubiquitous
Devices, Sept 17
- EECS Week: Berkeley labs panel, Intel
Extreme Interconnected Systems Lab, Sept 19
- EECS Week: Visions and Impact, Extreme
Systems: Large Self-Organized Networks of Tiny Wireless Sensors,
- Wireless OEP progress,
meeting, Sept 11, 2001
- Convergence at the Extremes – HPDC meets
Sensors, HPDC Invited Talk, Aug 2001
- Endeavouring to build
Tiny Devices, June 2001 Endeavour/Citris Retreat
of Extreme Networked Devices USC Distinguished Lecture, Feb 28,
of High_performance Cluster Architecture NPACI All Hands Meeting,
new in TinyOS Devices Endeavour Retreat, Jan 9, 2001
of Open Infrastructure Services in Java, Java Grande 2000 keynote
Analysis of Parallel Codes, LLNL ISCR, May 2000
Panel on the 10 Hottest Topics in Parallel and Distributed Processing
a Cluster Stratgy for NPACI, All Hands Meeting, Feb 2000
Based Performance Analysis Tools, 11/5/99
System Architecture for Incredibly Diverse Devices, Endeavour
Final Presentation @ NSF PI meeting (8/7/99)
Institute on Invisible Computing (July 1999)
of Distributed Information Processing (June 1999), Ninja
- Lucent and Siemens visits mar 1999
Millennium mar 1999
ARPA discussion, 2/25/99
- EECS Conference (ILP) PostPC Session
Cluster Panel, All hands meeting, 1/29/99
and the Post-PC Era, ISRG Retreat, 1/11/99
a Service Architecture for Internet-Scale Systems ATT Labs
in EECS Computing and Networking
Beyond, Workshop on Clusters and Computational Grids for Scientific
Computing, Sept. 4, 1998
- Cluster Architectures and the NPACI Berkeley NOW, NPACI Summer
Aug. 19, 1998. (powerpoint)
- "High Performance Clusters", (part1:
Generality) SPAA/PODC Invited Tutorial, June 28, 1998
- Berkeley NOW Project Finale, UCB, June 15, 1998 (ppt)
- ISPACE, Ninja MiniRetreat, June 9, 1998 (ppt)
- The Berkeley NOW Project, Sun Tour of Innovation, UC Berkeley,
- What’s So Different about Cluster Architectures?, IPPS
98 Keynote, March 31, 1998 (powerpoint)
- Architectural Interactions in High Performance Clusters, 2nd
Runtime systems for Parallel Processing, March 30, 1998 (ppt, postscript)
- Millennium: Cluster Technology for Computational Science and
20th Annual COE ILP Conference, UCB, Mar. 12, 1998 (ppt)
- Breakthroughs and Challenges ahead in Computer Architecture, SC97
Opening, Mar 12 1998 (ppt)
- Pleiades: The Titan Clustered Storage and Information Server, CS
- Teaching Parallel Computing on the Berkeley NOW, Second
Forum on Parallel Computing Curricula, June 1997.
- "Virtual Networks in Clusters: Beyond the Personal
Supercomputer Users Group, June 1997.
- "Panel Discussion: Will Commodity Cluster Computing Render MPPs
Supercomputer Users Group, June 1997.
- "Parallel Computing on the Berkeley NOW", Featured Presentation,
Symposium on Parallel Processing, May 1997.
- NOW and the
Killer Network ,
- NOW and the
Killer Network ,
Keynote, Sun Technology Leadership Conference, April 1997
- Effects of
and Bandwidth on a Cluster Architecture, presented at the Cluster
Computing Conference - CCC '97 March 9-11, 1997 Emory University,
of Fast NIs with Active Messages Presented at Hot Interconnects
- A Case
overview of the research issues in the Berkeley NOW project. Presented
at Cornell University 2/23/95.
of the Cray T3D: A Compiler Perspective UC Davis, Dept. of Advanced
- LogP Modeling
Presented at DIMACS parallel implementation challenge
in MPPs and NOWs, Scalable High Performance Computing Conference,
The Split-C Perspective, Panel Session on Parallel C,