- Ph.D., Computer Sciences, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1993
Advisor: Mike Carey, with help from Miron Livny and David DeWitt
Thesis: Caching and Memory Management in Client-Server Database Systems
- M.S.E., Wang Institute of Graduate Studies, 1986,
- B.S., Computer and Information Science, Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, 1983
- UC Berkeley, EECS Computer Science, Professor (1999-present)
(Thomas M. Siebel Professor of Computer Science since 2012)
(Vice Chair for Graduate Matters 2004-2006; Associate Professor 1999-2004)
- Cisco Systems, San Jose, CA, Consultant and Technical Advisor (2012-present)
- ClearStory Data, Palo Alto, CA, Technical Advisory Board Member (2012-present)
- wise.io, Berkeley, CA, Technical Advisory Board Member (2013-present)
- Truviso, Inc. (acquired by Cisco), Foster City, CA, Founder and CTO (2005-2012)
- Intel Research Berkeley, Visiting Faculty Researcher (2004-2005)
- The Mayfield Fund, Executive-in-Residence (2003)
- PRiSM Laboratory, University of Versailles, Visiting Professor (2003)
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Visiting Professor (2003)
- University of Maryland, College Park
1999-2001: Associate Professor
1993-1999: Assistant Professor
- INRIA, Rocquencourt, France, Visiting Professor (Summers 1994-1997)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Research Assistant (1989-1993)
- Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corp (MCC), Austin, TX, Member Technical Staff (1986-1989)
- Wang Laboratories, Lowell, MA, Software Engineer, Database Systems (1983-1985).
- Consultant for: The Mayfield Fund, Hewlett-Packard, Sequoia Capital, Bell Laboratories, IBM, Telcordia, Panasonic Technologies, and others..
- Advisory Boards:
- Appstream, Inc. (acquired by Symantec)
- Business Signatures, Inc., (acquired by EnTrust, Inc.)
- DATAllegro, Inc. (acquired by Microsoft)
- Propel, Inc.
- RightOrder, Inc.
- WiseNut Inc. (acquired by LookSmart Ltd.)
Awards and Fellowships
- Thomas M. Siebel Chair in Computer Science, UC Berkeley
- ACM Fellow (named in 2005)
- 2013 Best Paper Award, ICDE Conference, Brisbane, Australia
- 2012 Best Demo Award, SIGMOD Conference, Phoenix, AZ
- 2012 Best Paper Award, NSDI Conference, San Jose, CA
- 2011 Best Demo Award, VLDB Conference, Seattle, WA
- Papers invited for “Best of” special issues: VLDB 2012, 2006 & 2002; SIGMOD 2003, MDM 2003, IEEE RIDE 2002.
- 2011 Outstanding Advisor Award, Computer Science Graduate Student Association, UC Berkeley
- 2009 Outstanding Alumni Achievement Award, CS Dept. University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- 2009 IBM Faculty Award
- 2009 Google Faculty Research Grant
- 2007 Best Paper Award, ICDCS
- 2004 ACM SIGMOD “Test of Time” Award
- 2003, 2002, 1999 IBM Faculty Partnership Award
- 2002 ACM Service Award, for PC Chair of SIGMOD 2002
- 2000 Okawa Foundation Research Grant
- 2000 Siemens Faculty Development Award
- 1995 National Science Foundation CAREER Award
- 1994 Faculty Teaching Excellence Award, University of Maryland
- 1994 National Science Foundation Research Initiation Award
- 1993 Outstanding Graduate Student Research Award, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
Keynotes and Featured Talks
- 2013 NEC Forum, Tsinghua University, Beijing, China.
- 2012 Big Data Speaker Series, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA.
- 2012 ACM/IEEE/IFIP Int'l Conf. on Middleware (Middleware 2012), Montreal, Canada.
- 2012 Workshop on Management of Big Data Systems, (part of ICAC 2012) San Jose, CA.
- 2012 VLDB Database Summer School (China), Kunming, China.
- 2012 From Data To Knowledge: Workshop on Real-time Machine Learning and Streaming, Berkeley, CA.
- 2012 PARC Forum, Palo Alto Research Center, Palo Alto, CA.
- 2012 SDI/ISTC/VLIS Joint Seminar, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.
- 2011 Distinguished Lecture Series, Microsoft Silicon Valley Labs, Mountain View, CA.
- 2011 1st Annual Cloud Day, Swedish Institute of Computer Science, Stockholm, Sweden.
- 2011 12th IEEE Conference on Mobile Data Management, Lulea, Sweden.
- 2011 Microsoft Cloud Futures, Redmond, WA.
- 2010 Orange Institute, Orange Corp. So. San Francisco, CA.
- 2010 4th ACM Conference on Distributed Event-Based Systems (DEBS), King's College, Cambridge UK.
- 2010 19th International Conference on Software Engineering and Data Engineering, San Francisco, CA.
- 2010 IEEE Conference on Grid and Pervasive Computing, Hualien, Taiwan.
- 2010 Distinguished Lecture Series, Computer Science Dept., Univ. of Massachusetts, Amherst, MA.
- 2010 UC Berkeley EECS BEARS Conference, Berkeley, CA.
- 2009 UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism Media Technology Summit, Mountain View, CA.
- 2009 British National Conference on Databases (BNCOD), Birmingham, UK.
- 2009 New England Database Day, MIT, Cambridge, MA.
- 2009 Distinguished Lecture Series, Computer Science Dept., UC Irvine.
- 2008 Real-Time 2008, Industry Panel, San Francisco, CA.
- 2008 MICS Scientific Conference, Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2007 HPDC: 15th IEEE International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, Monterey, CA.
- 2007 National Research Council, Workshop on State Voter Registration Databases, Washington, DC
- 2007 DaMon/ExpDB Workshop (at SIGMOD 07), Beijing, China.
- 2006 Distinguished Lecture Series, University of Pittsburgh.
- 2006 DMSN: 3rd International Workshop on Data Management in Sensor Networks, Seoul, Korea.
- 2006 Dow Jones Enterprise Ventures Conference, San Jose, CA.
- 2005 COMAD (Indian National Database Conference), Hyderabad, India.
- 2005 ICME: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, Amsterdam.
- 2005 MobiDE: 4th ACM Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, Baltimore.
- 2005 NetDB: 1st International Workshop on Networks Meets Databases, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2003 XSym: 1st International XML Database Symposium, Berlin.
- 2003 PODC: ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, Boston
- 2000 Aether Systems Distinguished Lecture Series, Univ of MD, Baltimore County
- 2000 Dagshtul 10th Anniversary Conference, Saarbrueken, Germany
- 1999 MDM: 1st International Conference on Mobile Data Management, Hong Kong
- 1998 International Conf. on Advanced Multimedia Content Processing, Osaka University, Japan.
- 1997 EC/US Workshop on Data Persistence, Kinloch Rannoch, Scotland
- Committee Member: National Academy of Sciences Committee on Analysis of Massive Data Sets (2010-Present)
- International Advisory Board Member - School of Computing, National College of Ireland (2012-Present)
- Treasurer and Board of Trustees – VLDB Endowment (2002-2011); Scientific Advisory Board – MICS Project, Switzerland (2006-2012), Executive Committee – ACM SIGMOD (1996-2000)
- Delegate, Seminar on US-Vietnam Scientific Cooperation, Hanoi, 1998.
- Editorial Boards - Past: ACM Transactions on Database Systems, ACM Computing Surveys, VLDB Journal, ACM SIGMOD Record (Editor-in-Chief), ACM Journal on Data Quality, Distributed and Parallel Databases;
- Conference Organization:
CIDR 2011 (PC Chair), Asilomar, CA; SIGMOD 2009 (Industrial PC Co-Chair) Providence, RI., CIDR 2009 (Conference Co-Chair) Asilomar, CA; ICDE 2005 (PC co-chair), Tokyo; SIGMOD 2002 (PC Chair), Madison, WI; Mobile Data Management (MDM) 2001 (PC Chair), Hong Kong; SIGMOD 2001 (Demonstrations Chair), Santa Barabara, CA.