CS 268, Fall, 2010: Reading List
Notes about the reading list
- Papers fall roughly into three categories:
- Historical: Provided for historical perspective.
- Tutorial: Provide detailed description/information
on topics; this category includes protocol standards.
- Research: Current research topics.
- Not all papers will be discussed in class. Papers
to be discussed in class are listed on the syllabus. Readings which
provide background information for a lecture are listed on the syllabus
as "Background". Papers not listed on the syllabus provide additional
information on topics such as may be required for homework assignments.
- Papers/readings not explicitly listed on the syllabus
will not be used for quiz material.
- The reading list is still under construction; additional
papers may be added for later portions of the course.
- Recommended Book
- L.L. Peterson and B. S. Davie, "Computer Networks:
A System Approach", Morgan Kaufman Publishers, 2000.
- J. F. Kurose and W. R. Ross, "Computer Networking:
A Top-Down Approach Featuring the Internet", Addison Wesley Logman,
- S. Keshav, "An Engineering Approach to Computer
Networking", Addison Wesley Logman, Inc., 1997.
- [A+02] T. Anderson, S. Shenker, I. Stoica and D. Wetherall, "Design Guidlines for Robust Internet Protocols", HotNets'02, October 2002. [.html]
- [Car96] B. Carpenter, "Architectural Principles
of the Internet", RFC 1958, Jun 1996. [.html]
- [CK74] V.G. Cerf and R.E. Kahn, "A Protocol
for Packet Network Interconnection", IEEE Transaction on Communications,
22(5), May 1974, pp. 637-648.
- [Cla88] D. Clark, "The Design Philosophy
of the DARPA Internet Protocols", SIGCOM'88, 106-114, Palo Alto,
CA, Sept 1988. [pdf]
- [Cla00] D. Clark. "Rethinking the Design
of the Internet: end to end arguments vs. the brave new world."
Presented at TPRC 2000, Alexandria, Va., September 23-25th, 2000.
- [Gre80] P. Green, JR., "An Introduction
to Network Architectures and Protocols", IEEE Transactions on Communications,
28(4), April, 1980, pp. 413-424.
- [Pad83] M.A. Padlipsky, "A Perspective on
the ARPANET Reference Model", Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM'83, San
Diego, California. [.html]
- [Pos81a] J. Postel, "Internet Protocol",
RFC 791, Sept 1981. [.html]
- [Pos81b] J. Postel, "Transmission Control
Protocol", RFC 793, Sept 1981. [.html]
- [SRC84] J. Saltzer, D. Reed, and D. Clark,
"End-to-end Arguments in System Design". ACM Transactions on Computer
Systems (TOCS), Vol. 2, No. 4, 1984, pp. 195-206.
- [Zim80] H. Zimmerman, "OSI Reference Model
-- The ISO Model of Architecture for Open Systems Interconnection",
IEEE Transactions on Communications, 28(4), April, 1980, pp. 425-432.
- Flow Control/Congesion Control/Traffic
- [B+98] H. Balakrishnan, V. Padmanabhan,
S. Seshan, M. Stemm, and R. H. Katz, "TCP Behavior of a Busy Internet
Server: Analysis and Improvements". INFOCOM'98.
K. Fall and S. Floyd, Comparisons of Tahoe, Reno, and Sack
TCP, LBNL Technical report, December 1995. [.ps.Z]
- [CJ89] D.-M. Chiu and R. Jain, "Analysis
of the Increase and Decrease Algorithms for Congestion Avoidance
in Computer Networks", Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, Vol. 17,
1989, pp. 1-14.
- [E+01] D. Ely, N. Spring, D. Wetherall, S. Savage and
T. Anderson, "Robust Signaling". ICNP'01 [.pdf]
- [KHR02] D. Katabi, M. Handley, C. Rohr, "Congestion Control for High Bandwidth-Delay Product Networks". SIGCOMM'02 [.html]
[HFP+03] M. Handley, S. Floyd, J. Pahdye and J. Widmer, "TCP Friendly Rate Control (TFRC): Protocol Specification", RFC 3448, Proposed Standard, January 2003. [.txt]
- [Jac88] V. Jacobson, "Congestion Avoidance
and Control", SIGCOMM '88, Sept. 1988, pp. 314-329.
- [Jac90] V. Jacobson, email to end2end-interest
mailing list, Apr 30, 1990.
- [Mog95] Jeffrey C. Mogul,"A case for
Persistent-Connection HTTP", SIGCOMM'95,
- [RCJ88] K. Ramakrishnan, D. Chiu, and
R. Jain, "Congestion Avoidance in Computer Networks with a Connectionless
Network Layer", SIGCOMM'88, Sept. 1988, pp. 303-313 (.ps and .pdf
available at [.html]
; Note: This is a revised version of the original SIGCOMM'88
- [RJ90] K.K. Ramakrishnan and R. Jain,
A Binary Feedback Scheme for Congestion Avoidance in Computer
Networks , ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), Vol. 8,
No. 2, pp 158-181, May, 1990.
- [Ste97] W. Stevens, TCP congestion control,
RFC 2001, Jan 1997.
- Mobility and Wireless
- [BB94] A. Bakre and B.R. Badrinath, "I-TCP:
Indirect TCP for Mobile Hosts", Technical Report DCS-TR-314, Rutgers
University, Oct. 1994. [.ps.Z]
- [B+95] H. Balakrishnan, S. Seshan, and R.H.
Katz., Improving Reliable Transport and Handoff Performance in Cellular
Wireless Networks, ACM Wireless Networks, 1(4), December 1995.
- [Joh95] D. Johnson, "Scalable
Support for Transparent Mobile Host Internetworking", in Mobile
Computing, Wireless Networks, Vol 1, October 1995, pp. 311-321
- [BMJ+98] J. Broch, D. Maltz, D. Johnson
, Y-C. Hu, J. Jetcheva, A Performance Comparison of Multi-Hop Wireless
Ad Hoc Routing Protocols, Proc. ACM/IEEE MOBICOM, Dallas, TX, August
- [SB00] A. Snoeren and H. Balakrishnan, "An
End-to-End Approach to Host Mobility", Proc. ACM MOBICOM, Boston, MA,
August 2000. [.html]
- [MGL+00] Sergio Marti, T.J. Giuli, Kevin
Lai and Mary Baker, "Mitigating Routing Misbehavior in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks."
Proceedings of MOBICOM 2000, August 2000.
- [LJC+00] Jinyang Li, John Jannotti, Douglas
S. J. De Couto, David R. Karger, Robert Morris, "A Scalable Location
Service for Geographic Ad Hoc Routing", Proceedings of Mobicom 2000. [.pdf]
- [LBC+01] J. Li, C. Blake, D. De Couto, H.
Lee, and R. Morris, Capacity of Wireless Ad Hoc Networks , Proc. ACM
MOBICOM , Rome, Italy, July 2001. [.html]
- [CJB+01] Benjie Chen, Kyle Jamieson, Hari
Balakrishnan, and Robert Morris, "Span: An Energy-Efficient Coordination
Algorithm for Topology Maintenance in Ad Hoc Wireless Networks", Proceedings
of the 7th ACM International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking
(MobiCom '01), Rome, Italy, July 2001. [.pdf]
- Router Mechanisms
- [B+97a] Braden et al, Recommendations on
Queue Management and Congestion Avoidance Internet draft draft-irtf-e2e-queue-mgt-00.txt,
March 25, 1997.
- [B+97b] A. Brodnik, S. Carlsson, M.
Degermark, and S. Pink, "Small Forwarding Tables for Fast Routing
Lookups", ACM SIGCOMM 97. Pages 3-14. [.html]
- [CRL96] A. Charny, K. K. Ramakrishnan,
and T. Lauck, "Scalability Issues for Distributed Explicit Rate Allocation
in ATM Networks", Proceedings Infocom '96. March 1996.
- [DKS89] A. Demers, S. Keshav, and S.
Shenker, "Analysis and Simulation of a Fair Queueing Algorithm",
Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM'89, pp 3-12.
- [FJ93] S. Floyd and V. Jacobson, "Random
Early Detection gateways for Congestion Avoidance" IEEE/ACM Transactions
on Networking, 1(4):397-413 August 1993. [.html]
- [GM99] P. Gupta and N. McKeown, "Packet
Classification on Multiple Fields" Proceedings of SIGCOMM '99,
- [Kes91] S. Keshav "A Control-Theoretic
Approach to Flow Control", SIGCOMM'91.
- [KBC94] H. T. Kung, T. Blackwell, and
A. Chapman, "Credit-Based Flow Control for ATM Networks: Credit
Update Protocol, Adaptive Credit Allocation, and Statistical
Multiplexing", Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM '94
- [P+98] C. Partridge et. al., "A 50-Gb/s
IP router", IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, Vol. 6, No. 3
(June 1998), Pages 237-248.
- [RF99] K. K. Ramakrishnan and S. Floyd,
"A Proposal to add Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) to IP",
RFC 2481, Jan 1999. [.txt]
- [SSV99] V. Srinivasan, S. Suri and G.
Varghese, "Packet Classification Using Tuple Space Search", Proceedings
of SIGCOMM '99, 135-146.
- [SSZ98] Ion Stoica, Scott Shenker, Hui
Zhang, "Core-Stateless Fair Queueing: A Scalable Architecture to
Approximate Fair Bandwidth Allocations in High Speed Networks",
- [TY77] J. Turner and N. Yamanaka, "Architectural
Choices in Large Scale ATM Switches".
- [Dow99] A. Downey, "Using pathchar to Estimate Internet
- [GSW02] T. G. Griffin, F. B. Shepherd and G. Wilfong, "The
Stable Paths Problem and Interdomain Routing", IEEE Transactions on
Networking, April 2002. [.html]
- [LMJ97] C. Labovitz, G. R. Malan, and F. Jahanian,
"Internet Routing Instability", Proceedings of SIGCOMM'97, September
- [Pax96] V. Paxson, "End-to-End Routing
Behavior in the Internet". ACM SIGCOMM '96, August 1996, Stanford,
- [LAJ99] C. Labovitz, A. Ahuja and F. Jahanian,
"Experimental Study of Internet Stability and Wide-Area Network
Failures", Proceedings of FTCS99, Madison, WI, June 22, 1999.
- [LAA+01] Craig Labovitz, Abha Ahuja, Abhijit Bose, Farnam
Jahanian, "Delayed Internet Routing Convergence", IEEE/ACM
Transactions on Networking, Vol. 9, No. 3 (April 2001), Pages 293-306.
- [Norton00] W. B. Norton, "Internet Service Providers and
Peering", Draft paper, 2000. [.pdf]
- [S+99] S. Savage, A. Collins, E. Hoffman, J. Snell, and T.
Anderson, "The End-to-End Effects of Internet Path Selection",
- [SG04] A. Shaikh and A. Greenberg, "OSPF Monitoring:
Architecture, Design and Deployment Experience", Proc. USENIX
Symposium on Networked System Design and Implementation (NSDI), March
- [SIG+02] A. Shaikh, C. Isett, A. Greenberg, M. Roughan and
J. Gottlieb, "A Case Study of OSPF Behavior in a Large Enterprise
Network. Proc. ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Workshop (IMW),
pp. 217-230, November 2002. [.html]
- [DC88] S. Deering and D. Cheriton,
"Multicast Routing in Internetworks and Extended LANs", SIGCOMM'88,
Stanford, CA, Aug 1988, 55-64.
- [Bal93] T. Ballardie, P. Fracis, and J. Crowcroft,
"An Architecture for Scalable Inter-Domain Multicast Routing",
- [F+95] S. Floyd,
V. Jacobson, S. McCanne, C. G. Liu, and L. Zhang, "A Reliable Multicast
Framework for Light-weight Sessions and Application Level Framing",
ACM SIGCOMM 95 .
- [X+97] X. Rex Xu, Andrew C. Myers, H. Zhang,
and Raj Yavatkar, Resilient Multicast Support for Continuous-Media
Applications. Proceedings of NOSSDAV'97.
- [MJ+96] S. McCanne, V. Jacobson,
M. Vetterli , Receiver-driven Layered Multicast, In Proc. ACM SIGCOMM
, Stanford, CA, August 1996. [.html]
- [HC99] H. W. Holbrook and D. R. Cheriton, "IP Multicast
Channels: EXPRESS Support for Large-Scale Single-Source Applications",
ACM SIGCOMM 99.
- Quality of Service
- [BZ96] J. C.R. Bennett and H. Zhang, "Hierarchical
Packet Fair Queueing Algorithms. Proceedings of SIGCOMM'96, August,
- [B+98] S. Blake et al, "An Architecture
for Differentiated Services", RFC 2475, December 1998. [.txt] .
- [BCS94] R. Braden, D. Clark &
S.Shenker. "Integrated Services in the Internet Architecture: an
Overview", RFC 1633, June 1994, [.html]
- [Cru95] R. L. Cruz, "Quality of
Service Guarantees in Virtual Circuit Switched Networks," IEEE
Journal of Selected Areas in Communication, special issue on "Advances
in the Fundamentals of Networking", August, 1995.
- [Hin95] R. M. Hinden, "IP Next
- [NJZ97] K. Nichols , V. Jacobson,
and L. Zhang, "A Two-bit Differentiated Services Architecture for
the Internet", [.html] .
- [SCP'95] H. Sariowan, R. L. Cruz,
and G. C. Polyzos, "Scheduling for Quality of Service Guarantees
via Service Curves," Proceedings of the International Conference
on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN) 1995, Las Vegas, September
20-23, 1995, pp. 512-520.
- [SZ98] I. Stoica and H. Zhang,
"LIRA: A Model for Service Differentiation in the Internet",
- [SZ99] I. Stoica and H. Zhang,
"Providing Guaranteed Services Without Per Flow Manage ment".
ACM SIGCOMM'99 , Boston, MA, Sept 1999. [.html]
- [Z+93] L. Zhang, S. Deering, D.
Estrin, S. Shenker, and D. Zappala, "RSVP: A New Resource Reservation
Protocol", IEEE Communications Magazine, 31(9):8-18, September 1993.
- Active Networks and Overlay Network Applications
- Active Networks
- [TJ96] D. L. Tennenhouse and D. J. Wetherall,
"Towards an Active Network Architecture", Computer Communication
Review, Vol. 26, No. 2, April 1996. [.html]
- [WGT98] David J. Wetherall,
John Guttag, and David L. Tennenhouse, "ANTS: A Toolkit for Building
and Dynamically Deploying Network Protocols", IEEE OPENARCH'98,
San Francisco, CA, April 1998.
- [Wet99] David J. Wetherall,
"Active network vision and reality: lessons from a capsule-based
system", 17th ACM Symposium on Operating System Principles (SOSP'99),
Kiawah Island, SC, December 1999.
- Application level multicast
- [CMB00] Y. Chawathe, S. McCanne, and E.
Brewer, "An Architecture for Internet Content Distribution as an
- [CRZ00] Y. Chu, S. G. Rao,
and H. Zhang, "A Case For End System Multicast", Proceedings of
ACM SIGMETRICS'00, Santa Clara,CA, June 2000, pp 1-12
- [J+00] J. Jannotti, D. K.
Gifford, K. L. Johnson, M. F. Kaashoek, and J. W. O'Toole, Jr.,
"Overcast: Reliable Multicasting with an Overlay Network", Proceedings
of OSDI'00, [.html]
- Web caching
- [F+98] L. Fan, P. Cao, J. Almeida and A.
Z. Broder, " Summary Cache: A Scalable Wide-Area Web Cache Sharing
Protocol", Proceedings of ACM SIGMETRICS'98, Vancouver, Canada, pp.
- [K+97] D. R. Karger, E.
Lehman, F. T. Leighton, R. Panigrahy, M. S. Levine, D. Lewin,
"Consistent Hashing and Random Trees: Distributed Caching Protocols
for Relieving Hot Spots on the World Wide Web", Proceedings of
STOC'97, pp. 654-663 [.html]
- [C+98] R. Caceres, F. Douglis,
A. Feldmann, G. Glass, M. Rabinovich, "Web proxy caching: the devil
is in the details", Workshop on Internet Server Performance held
- [A+99] W. Adjie-Winoto, E. Schwartz, H.
Balakrishnan and J. Lilley, "The design and implementation of
an intentional naming system", Proceedings of 17th ACM SOSP, Kiawah
Island, SC, Dec. 1999 [.html]
- [VAD98] A. Vahdat, T. Anderson
and M. Dahlin, "Active Naming: Programmable Location and Transport
of Wide-Area Resources", Proceedings of the USENIX Symposium on
Internet Technologies and Systems (USITS), October 1999 [.ps][.pdf]
- [C+00] I. Clarke, O. Sandberg, B. Wiley,
and T. W. Hong, "Freenet: A Distributed Anonymous Information Storage
and Retrieval System" ICSI Workshop on Design Issues in Anonymity
and Unobservability, July 2000. [.ps] [.ps.gz]
- [Ora00] A. Oram, "Gnutella
and Freenet Represent True Technical Inovation" The O'Reilly
Network (on-line), December 2000.
- [SM+01] I. Stoica , R. Morris , D. Karger , M. Kaashoek
, H. Balakrishnan , Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Service for Internet
Applications , Proc. ACM SIGCOMM , San Diego, CA, August 2001. [.html]
- [RF+01] Sylvia Ratnasamy, Paul Francis, Mark Handley,
Richard Karp, and Scott Shenker. A scalable content-addressable network. In
Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 2001, August 2001. [.html]
- [SA+02] Ion Stoica, Dan Adkins, Shelley Zhuang, ,
Scott Shenker, and Sonesh Surana,"An Internet Indirection Infrastructure",
To appear in Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM 2002. [.pdf]
- Internet Security
- [NS78] R.M. Needham and M.D. Schroeder,
"Using Encryption for Authentication in Large Networks of Computers",
Communications of the ACM, Vol.21, No.12, December, 1978, pp.993-999.
[ .pdf ]
- [Bel89] S. Bellovin, "Security Problems
in the TCP/IP Protocol Suite" Computer Communication Review, Vol.
19, No. 2, April 1989, pp. 32-254. [.html]
- [IB93] John Ioannidis and Matt Blaze,
"The Architecture and Implementation of Network-Layer Security under Unix,"
Proceedings of the 4th USENIX Security Symposium, Santa Clara, CA, October,
- [Pax99] V. Paxson, "Bro: A System for Detecting Network
Intruders in Real-Time", Computer Networks, 31(23-24) pp. 2435-2463,
Dec. 14, 1999.
- [MVS01] D. Moore, G. Voelker, and
S. Savage, "Inferring Internet Denial of Service Activity", Proceedings
of the 2001 USENIX Security Symposium, Washington D.C., August
2001. [ .pdf
- [M+01] R. Manajan, S. M.
Bellovin, S. Floyd, J. Ioannidis, V. Paxson, and S. Shenker, "Controlling
High Bandwidth Aggregates in the Network (Extended Version)", submitted
to CCR, July 2001. [ .pdf