Ion Stoica's Home Page
I am a Professor of
Computer Science Division at University of California,
Berkeley. I am also a co-founder of Conviva Networks. Here is a short bio.
- Contact information:
- 465 Soda Hall
Computer Science Division
- University of California, Berkeley
- Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
- phone: +1 510 643-4007
- Fax: +1 510 643-1289
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Research | Teaching | Publications | Students | Bio
My area of research is cloud computing, distributed systems, and
networking. I am equally interested in designing algorithms and
systems with strong theoretical foundations, and in providing
practical implementations that are deployable in the real world.
The list of my
publications are available here.
- Current projects:
- Mesos, a cluster manager
that provides efficient resource isolation and sharing across
cluster computing frameworks, such as Hadoop, MPI and Hypertable.
- Spark, a
cluster computing frameworks to efficiently support interactive, and
- Previous projects:
- OCALA, an overlay architecture for deploying legacy applications over new Internet architecture.
- Internet Indirection Infrastructure (i3), an network architecture that uses a rendezvous-based communication abstraction to support a wide variety of communication abstractions, including multicast, anycast and mobility.
- Chord, and efficient lookup protocol for peer-to-peer networks.
- OML, an overlay MAC layer to provide fair bandwidth sharing in wireless environments.
- Older projects (during my graduate studies, at CMU):
- Dynamic Packet State (DPS), a scalable QoS
and resource management architecture for the Internet. The main idea
of DPS is to have packets carry per-flow state, instead of
maintaining the state at routers. One instantiation of DPS is CSFQ (Core-Stateless Fair Queueing), a protocol
that provides fair sharing without requiring routers to maintain any
Fair Service Curve (HFSC), an hierarchical scheduling algorithm
that decouples the bandwidth and delay allocations.
- CS 162 [10-11]
- EE 122 [01-05]
- CS 268 [01-05] 
- CS 294 [09,11]
- CS 194 
- Current PhD students: Sameer Agarwal, Ganesh
Ananthanarayanan, Mosharaf Chowdhury,
Shivaram Venkataraman (with Mike Franklin), Andrew Wang, Patrick Wendell, Matei Zaharia (with Scott Shenker).
- Current Postdocs: Adam Oliner, Minlan Yu
- Past PhD students:
- Lucian Popa (2011, HP Labs)
- Gautam Altekar (2011, Postdoc at UC Berkeley)
- Rodrigo Fonseca (2009, Assistant Professor at Brown University)
- Brighten Godfrey (2009, Assistant Professor at UIUC)
- Dilip Joseph (2009, Conviva Networks)
- Jayanth Kannan (2008, Google Inc.)
- Ryan Huebsch (2008, with Joe Hellerstein, Playnomics)
- Matt Caesar (2007, with Randy Katz, Assistant Professor at UIUC)
- Karthik Lakshminarayanan (2007, Google Inc.)
- Ananth Rajagopala-Rao (2007, Vudu Networks)
- Boon Thau Loo (2006, with Joe Hellerstein, Assistant Professor at University of Pennsylvania)
- Dennis Geels (2006, Google Inc.)
- Lakshminarayanan Subramanian, (2005, with Randy Katz and Scott Shenker, Assistant Professor at New York University)
- Shelly Zhuang (2005, with Randy Katz , Draper Fisher Jurvetson)
- Sylvia Ratnasamy (2002, with Scott Shenker, Assistant Professor at UC Berkeley)